- This event has passed.
CS48 – Children in the Garden, A Sensory Experience
June 21 @ 1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
Children’s gardens are a big part of the Master Gardener mission. Because sensory experiences are so important to a child’s development, creating a sensory garden for children is a natural fit. Join Rene Bookoff as she walks through the how-tos for creating a sensory experience in a community children’s garden in Maryland. The photos will inspire you! Rene will explain:
- The evidence and research about the benefits of gardening with children.
- The value of sensory experiences within the first six years of life.
- Major benefits of gardening with young children.
- Plants for engaging all of a child’s senses.
- Precautions to take when planning a sensory garden for children.
Gardening is in Rene’s bones. She’s been gardening most of her life. She has a BA in Family Studies and an MA in Occupational Therapy. She loves to find ways to combine her educational background with gardening. Rene has been a Master Gardener with University of Maryland Extension for seven years.